Softich.com

Friday, October 20, 2006

Far Away Eyes


World Series - Tigers v Cardinals

So, I was wrong about the Tigers. Again. But, much to the chagrin of my buddy Phil, right about the Cards. And now we have another Detroit-St. Louis series. I remember the last time they faced off, in 1968, very well. My Mom let me stay home from school and watch a few of the games in the afternoon. She liked Bob Gibson and loved watching him pitch. I remember sitting there as Lou Brock, Orlando Cepeda, Norm Cash and Al Kaline gave it their all. I recall the announcers talking about Lolich and McLain and Dobson and the Tiger pitching. But Gibson stole the show with what I think was one of the best performances ever by a pitcher in a series. I'm not sure on the exact stats but I know he had 3 complete games and struck out something like 36 batters while walking 4 or 5. Incredible.

I also remember that series because my Dad would come home from work and I would let him know what had happened in the game. He would tell me all about the '34 Series and the Dean brothers for St. Louis and how he would listen to the games on the radio and keep score. It was during that series that the lady who lived across the alley from us, Mrs. Kralic, died. Her first husband had went down on the Titanic and maybe that was why she got so upset every time we broke her bedroom window, which was quite often. We couldn't help it if it was located in right center field and both Mike and I were push hitters.....

Anyway, I'm sure as I watch this years edition of the World Series those are the visions which will pass before my eyes and poor Emma will have to listen to some boring stories. I'm almost as sure that the Tigers will win it because they just have too much and the Cards are spent. Leyland will outsmart LaRussa in this one. Then again, I have been wrong before. Detroit in 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home